Wednesday, August 29, 2012

ARP Project Failure

Well, maybe failure is too strong of a word; but I certainly didn't succeed.

I ran into some health issues in early May that took the wind out of my sails with regard to training - and thus eating to fuel said training.  Without going into details, it seems that a few things contributed to these issues, and perhaps the events of May were some sort of 'perfect storm'  where every negative came together and capsized my boat, so to speak...

From May through what is now late August, I've only trained legs a handful of times (3-4?), and mainly within the past few weeks.  My initial 'issue' occurred during a leg workout, and scared the crap out of me.  So, psychologically it's been a little bit difficult getting back into a groove with them.  Upper body workouts became pretty consistent mid-July, but that's still nearly 2 months without a regular regimen.

If a positive can be taken from this, I discovered how important intense leg workouts are to body composition optimization.  The weeks where I felt confident enough to undergo intense squats and lunges found me dropping body fat and altering my appearance to a noticeable degree - and that's without any further adjustments in diet. I presume this has to do with the greater degree of positive hormonal release following such activity compared to the (mostly) smaller muscles of the torso and arms.

So, perhaps next spring/summer will work better...

No comments: